15 May 2011

Greetings!

A favorite thing of mine is to go with one of my friends on excursions. Cameras in tow, picnic lunch from Manhattan Bagels and a full tank of gas, we ventured out to places unknown, at least to us. Since gas prices are so high ($4.06 in our neck of the woods, with our .03 cent Safeway gas discount), we decided to stick fairly close to our city.

I subbed in 6th & 8th grade math and science classes on Friday at a school I'd never been to before. Honestly, I never knew this entire other 'world' existed within our county. As I veered off the familiar hwy onto a long unknown country road, the landscape began to change, as well as the atmosphere. It became even more rural, with a peaceful feeling - despite the fact that I might have pushed the time of arrival, due to the unfamiliar territory. The school was farther out than I had anticipated, even though I had google mapped it several times several days in advance.  I just made it, with a little time to spare.


The wonderful~
  • working with children - challenging but oh, so rewarding.
  • having a student come up after one of the classes, reach out his arm and give me a hug - totally surprised, but my heart was so blessed beyond words.
  • figuring out how to 'manage' classes in this age-range.
  • realizing that I love seeing the way students think and process their world around them.
  • grateful that I'm not that age anymore but can relate to them still.
  • grateful that I'm grateful about not being that age, because sometimes I find myself wanting to be a wee-bit younger. 
Speaking of 'veering,' I kind of veered off the topic of today and drifted back into yesterday. So, tomorrow I'll address what happened today (Saturday, 14 May 11 - even though it's actually now Sunday, 15 May '11 12:08 a.m....me thinks I'm a little weary), but it has a little something to do with this:


 Until tomorrow (or later today)...nite-nite~

No comments:

Post a Comment