19 May 2011

Some Thing Wonderful - Friday, 13 May 2011

Let me start by saying that I believe some wonderful thing(s) happen everyday and not just once in a great while, but I don't always notice it.

Last Friday, the 13th of May, was a day filled with a few wonderful things, but one thing in particular made my day.

I was subbing for 6th & 8th grade math and science classes at a school I'd never been to before. The day had been going fairly well, most of the classes were behaving, for the most part. There were 8 periods in the entire day and I had two prep periods, because I was covering two different teachers' classes at different times throughout the day.

Since my 5th period was a prep period and the one right after lunch, I thought I had dodged a proverbial bullet, because it almost always seems that the period after lunch is the rowdiest. Enter 6th period (which happened to be 6th/7th periods combined into one looooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg double-period, a fact I hadn't known about prior to them arriving). As Ricky Ricardo (dating myself) would say, "Aye Yi Yi Yi Yi!"

Okay, it wasn't too bad but it got to the point of facilitating some rudimentary (elementary?) classroom management tools that I hadn't expected to use for this grade level. Well, we all survived that, playing multiplication bingo the last third of the class and it went fairly well during that time.

Let me preface the following by saying that I have a love for all children/students, and my heart tugs a little more for the ones that don't quite seem to fit in with everyone else. So, the following description is in no way a negative remark against anyone - just a description. As I was packing up the bingo game (just writing this part chokes me up a little) a young boy in the 6th grade - you know the very-skinny-sits-by-himself-wears-glasses-quiet-kind-of-boy comes up next to me and without saying a word, puts one arm around me and gives me a hug. Taken by surprise, I wrapped one arm around him, muttered some feeble words like, "Thank you - you have a great day!" and he went on his way. I could have broken down in a heap and sobbed in amazement at his precious act. That was truly a 'wonderful!'

While waiting between each class, when no one is there, while there is a small window of a break, I will sometimes go around the classroom and pray that each student can know/sense unconditional Love & acceptance. Maybe, just maybe, this young boy could sense it when he walked in the class that day. I know he made a difference in my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment